Electrical Safety Tips – Overloaded Circuits (Breaker Trips)

electrical safety tips

Electrical safety is critical for any home and circuit breakers are an essential safety feature. With the increase of using more and more electrical appliances, it’s essential to make sure that your distribution panel is fitted with circuit breakers.

In the 1960s and 1970s, there were very few electrical and electronic appliance in use. However, now, there is an increased risk of overloading circuits, electrical fires, and surges that can damage equipment.

In this article, you will find out many practical tips on ensuring safety at home when it comes to wiring and the proper use of circuit breakers.

Warnings Signs of Overloaded Circuits

There are some warning signs that you have an overloaded circuit. Some of these are:

  • Fuses keep blowing or trip switches have to be reset frequently in your distribution board. This can indicate a serious problem with your home wiring. You could be at risk of cables heating up and causing a fire.
  • Lights dim when you switch on an electrical appliance.
  • Any kind of sparking or sizzling noises from a power outlet should be investigated by a qualified electrician.
  • You can feel heat near power outlets that can indicate that wiring is hot and overloaded.

How to Prevent Circuit Overloads

It’s good to remember that electrical work should be undertaken by a qualified and licensed electrician. However, there are some practical ways that you can avoid overloading circuits at home.

For example, never use an extension cord as a permanent solution to a wiring problem. This could put extra load on a circuit than can trip a circuit breaker. Of course, the fact that your circuit breaker has cut off the electrical supply on that circuit is a good thing. However, it is also a warning that the circuit has been overloaded.

Also, never tape circuit breakers to the “on” position to prevent tripping. This could result in wiring overheating and increase the chances of a fire at home.

If you have any doubt about electrical safety at home, call a qualified electrician. It can help identify any electrical problems and prevent damage to electrical appliances and fires.